Hospital Waste Management and Handling at SCB Medical College & Hospital Cuttack
BRIEF INFORMATION ABOUT SCB MCH, CUTTACK
- SCB MCH Cuttack, is the largest Tertiary Care Hospital in Eastern Odisha with Capacity of 2132 bed strength.
- Bed occupancy is 100% and DAILY AVERAGE of patient attendance in OPD is approx 7000-8000 per day.
- Casualty attendance is around 300 to 400 patients per
- 166 functional ICU beds.
- With high patient load the Hospital Generates enormous Hospital Waste and effective handling waste is a major challenge for the Hospital Administration of the Institute
TYPE OF WASTE
SCB Medical College generates three categories of waste
- Municipal Solid Waste
- Bio-Medical Waste
- Construction & Demolition waste
Responsibility of Disposal & Regulating act
|Municipal Solid Waste||Bio-Medical Waste||Construction & Demolition|
|Municipal Solid Wastes (Management & Handling) Rules, 2000 are applicable to every
|The Bio-Medical Waste Management (Amendment) Rules, 2018 Responsible
|Construction and Demolition Waste Management Rules 2016 Responsibility of
Waste Generator (R & B, PHD & GED)
Who undertakes construction demolition of any civil construction.
MANAGEMENT OF GENERAL WASTE
The non infectious General Waste, (kitchen waste, paper) is collected and disposed by Cuttack Municipality. The outsourcing agency M/s Paritosh who is entrusted to manage General Waste is accountable to collect, lift and transport the general waste to the CMC, CTC Waste Bins positioned in front of departments of SCB MCH, Cuttack.
Total General Waste Generated = 10 tons per day
MANAGEMENT OF BIO-MEDICAL WASTE
- Waste is segregated at the site of generation by the persons (nursing staff, attendants, technicians, doctors etc.) as per the biomedical waste management rules, 2018 in classified color coded bags.
- The collection, transportation and disposal of BMW is outsourced By MEDIAID Marketing Services Pvt.
- The agency is lifting waste from 151 Generation Points.
- Posters regarding segregation item wise are displayed in each area of the hospital.