The first wave of Covid Pandemic hit the state in March 2020. The Government of Odisha constituted a Core Committee for the management of Covid and non-Covid issues which comprised of the following members:
- Prof (Dr) Datteswar Hota, Dean and Principal : Chairman of the committee
- Prof (Dr) MR Pattnaik, HOD Pulmonary Medicine : Member
- Prof (Dr) B N Mahapatra, HOD, Medicine : Member
- Prof (Dr) Nirupama Chayani, HOD, Microbiology : Member
- Prof (Dr) Bidyut Das Professor Medicine : Member
- Prof (Dr) Tushar Kar , HOD, O&G : Member
- Mr Kalpatru Behera OAS Administrative Officer : Member
This committee presided over all the affairs related to COVID management starting from creation of COVID 1, COVID 2 and COVID 3 facilities with preparation of SOPs for its functioning.
When the 2nd wave hit Odisha, SCB Medical College was fully prepared to face the onslaught with a set of unique facilities and management strategies unparalleled in many institutions of the country.